Sunday, September 21, 2008

And then it takes a turn...

Then my cabin fever turns into wanting to make a difference and give someone a better tomorrow. All because of this email I got from my dad.

Before I share that I should tell you that my family has been looking for charitible organizations to donate money to this Christmas. As a family we aren't participating in the traditional Christmas, we're instead donating all the money we would have spent on one another to charities.
For instance, I worked with a ministry this summer called Gotitas de Amor (Droplets of Love), that deals with children that have grown up in a tough neighborhood, many of them had seen their parents or loved ones die from gang violence. This summer I had the wonderful opportunity to work with these children, I wish I could go back and do it again, right now! We also taught literacy workshops to the women in the community. Anyways, this is one of the ministries/charities my family will be donating to this Christmas.
I'm excited. I loved working with those kids, since I can't be there right now, this has to be the next best thing. I don't need a new camera or a pair of slippers. Lately I have been feeling terrible for spending any money at all.
For instance...(I know I'm going off...just go with it) last weekend, I bought a really neat pair of earrings from this really neat lady in Sisters, OR and I later felt terrible for it. Felt like I had to repent. I ended up giving the earrings to a friend as a birthday present but still, unless its food that the money is going towards (we have no kitchen right now) I have the hardest time.
It all might have a little bit to do with my summer...feeling like I bought all I ever needed to there. And this book I am reading...a lot to do with this book, The Irresistible Revolution by Shane Claiborne (check it out!).
Back to this email I got from my dad...its really neat. The organization helps with entrepreneurs, "helps you work with the poor". I don't have the words to describe it right now...hmm check it out: http://www.kiva.org/app.php?page=home
I get into these moods a lot of the time. I think they're the best moods to be in, it's my passionate mood. I want to help, I yearn for it.

Let me end on a little less of a scattered brain note. When I was at The Way (Solid Rock Fellowship Church) last night, John Mark said we are excepted therefore we do. God excepts us, He loves us, therefore we do everything with a passion and a yearning to do it. We don't have to earn His love through good deeds. He excepts us. He died on the cross for us. We are so very unworthy, yet He excepts and loves us! God is just so wonderful! :-)

No comments: