Monday, September 15, 2008

Divine paths

I am continually amazed by these divine paths God has chosen for each and everyone of us. I think of how sad God must get when we are like, “Umm…God what about this guy he is better at it? ” When all God wants is for us is to follow Him.

I was watching this Nooma (which is a devotional type video by Rob Bell, they’re a favorite) about how we may be very concerned about what other people think of us. I’m ready for it to tell me that I don’t need to be concerned with other people because they aren’t the ones that matter but it went deeper than that. Touching an area I really needed to hear.
This Nooma talked about owning who you are and your name. Rob Bell then proceeded to tell a story about Jacob. Jacob was wrestling with an angel (or a man), the scripture isn’t specific and when the angel saw that he could not overpower Jacob he touched the socket of Jacob’s hip so that his hip was wrenched as he wrestled with the angel. At that point the angel said, “Let me go, for it is daybreak.” And Jacob said, “I will not let you go unless you bless me.” Then the angel said, “What is your name?”
You see, in Biblical times, your name was your identity, it was rooted down to the very fiber of your being.
“Jacob”, said Jacob.

That took guts.

I want to own my name and not be ashamed of anything in my life. I think that also comes down to daily striving to live the life Christ has called me to as well. It doesn’t really come down to other people, it comes down to owning my name, my identity, the good and the bad. All with the help of God.

No comments: